Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Tiramisu Truffles

I love making truffles. I'm not sure why exactly, but I think it has something to do with the fact that a small little ball can be as delicious as an entire slice of cake, possibly even more delicious. I guess that makes them a little more dangerous too...they're bite size so you may not realize how many you've eaten until they're all gone!



When I made these for the first time, my husband said that these were his new favorite dessert- high praise from someone who dislikes sweets (really, why did I marry this man?)! 

They truly are delicious. They consist of an espresso and white chocolate ganache ball covered in chocolate shavings and cocoa powder. And yes, it's tiramisu so there's a bit of alcohol in there too! 



When making this recipe I wasn't too sure what couverture chocolate was, and after a quick internet search decided that using the white chocolate candy melts from my local grocery store should work fine. And they did! For those who don't know, couverture chocolate has more cocoa butter than normal chocolate, which means it melts and pours more readily than normal chocolate. My local grocery store did not have the couverture chocolate so I'm glad that my substitute worked out well!


These are definitely something I will make again, and would make an excellent addition to my holiday baking list!

tiramisu truffles
{recipe from Not So Humble Pie}
Makes 40-50 1 inch truffles

Ingredients

  • 10 ounces white couverture chocolate (I used white chocolate candy melts), finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons Marsala wine
  • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder, to taste, divided
  • 1 ounce milk chocolate in block form
  • 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
*if your mascarpone cheese is very stiff and thick, whisk it in a small bowl until it is smooth and creamy before adding it to the chocolate


Directions
  1. Melt the white chocolate in double boiler, stirring until smooth. Set aside and allow to cool until lukewarm.
  2. While waiting for the chocolate to cool, dissolve half of the espresso powder in the Marsala wine.
  3. When the chocolate has cooled a bit whisk in the mascarpone until smooth. Then add the espresso Marsala. Mix in the remaining powdered espresso, cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator overnight. 
  4. The next day: Grate the block of milk chocolate on the largest holes of a box grater. Toss the shaving with the cocoa powder.
  5. Take the espresso speckled chocolate ganache from the refrigerator and scoop balls out with a spoon (I used a small cookie scoop) and roll quickly between your palms to form a ball. If your hands get sticky, dust your clean palms in a little powdered sugar between rolling.
  6. To finish, roll the truffles in the shaved chocolate/cocoa mixture.
These will keep in the refrigerator in an air tight container for 10 days. It is also best to allow the truffles to come to room temperature before devouring them.

No comments:

Post a Comment